Civilization is the process of enlarging the category of We and Us, and moving people out of They and Them until no one is left in it.
Chad Miller’s stuff
Inpious wanderlusty optimistic misanthroope. Shutterbug and bookworm. Maker of things. Learner. Feminist humanist. Head shaver. Martini enthusiast.
- I grew up in the woods of Georgia US, and now live in Orlando Florida US.
- I take photos, but not as many as I used to.
- I like to play what is likely the oldest board-game in the world, Go / Weiqi.
- My previous job was to help make Ubuntu's desktop nicer. You should try it. I have used Linux almost exclusively since 1995. That probably says a lot about me. I'm looking for work. Send me a note.
- I have travelled a bit: Paris ×4, Seattle, Vieques, Boston, Heidelberg, Munich, Dublin, Galway, Stockholm ×2, Uppsala, Riga, Helsinki, Istanbul, Barcelona, Boston, Brussels, London ×4, Copenhagen, Portland ×2, Córdoba (AR), Buenos Aires ×2, Malta, Prague, Taiwan, The Hague. I'm trying to get to Tangier, Istanbul (my fave), India, Vietnam.
- I have a great wife, and a pretty good son. He is literate enough to tweet, and I upload videos sometimes. He plays Go too.
- I had cancer at age 25 and a freak heart-attack at 35. If you think that might instill serenity, wisdom, or gravitas, I probably have a fart-joke for you.
- Code for America and Code for Orlando put my skills to use for a good purpose.
- I think my city (and a few others nearby) needs a new flag.
- I support the Tor project. I made a Snap package to strengthen its network by making almost any kind of device, desktop, tv, car, router, home security system..., into a Tor middle node. Ubuntu Core users can download it as "tor-middle-relay".
- Running Minecraft on Linux? Use this Minecraft apparmor security wrapper. Even has Ubuntu/Debian packages.
- I'm trying to make a big model of the solar system.
- Parenting notes. I might be a bad parent, but I'm a damned good engineer.
- If you work by going to a cafe once in a while and don't mind company, use my idiom of tweeting to @orlandocoworker with where you're going, so someone might join you.
- I founded Café Scientifique Orlando in 2008 and organized for 6 years. I'm handing it off to someone else now. Back soon!
- Orlando Police calls and twitter accounts “orlpolZIP”
- Mixed-drinks recipes app, “Top Shelf”, for Android devices.
- Ubuntu 17.04 desktop, day job.
- Enzian special-event ical-feed. webcal://enzian-specials.appspot.com/shows.ics
I keep a sparse wish-list at Amazon.